Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Linguistic Lingo

York sure is beautiful. To me it's like a hybrid of Shrewsbury and Oxford. It has the small town charm of old Salopia and the beautiful architecture of Oxford. The picture above is a photo of the York Minster. It's really just amazing to look at.

The town is basically a labyrinth of roads, streets and bridges, protected by a few kilometres of what is known as The Wall, circling the whole town (or is it a city?).

But the fuck of the matter is, it's really is just way too frickin' cold. Usually I don't mind cold. But in York, it's as windy as a wind tunnel. I find myself being pushed to the side of the path on the way to lectures by the over-enthusiastic wind. And I hate cold wind. I could just feel the skin of my face freezing and just turning into ice.

There's a Bru-Yo (Bruneian York Society) get-together later at the V-Bar. Should be good. I'd rather call it Byork though. Sounds cooler. And it rolls off the tongue better than Broou- Yaww.

I think, after mixing around with the Northerners, that I might just have a Southern accent. A bit of cockney even. Just a teeny bit. The way I say bottle sometimes, it's bo'el. Apparently that's cockney. I think I like the Geordie accent. The way they voice their vowels, it's interesting. I also realised I tend to put an 'r' every time there's a '-th' after a vowel, for instance bath or path. You can just hear the tiny 'r' as I say barth or parth. I used to think it was just an extended 'a', like baath or paath.

Oh well. The joy of doing linguistics. Hahaha.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment