Sunday, January 24, 2010

Giggity: February

For the rest of this month, I don't think I'll be going to any gigs anymore. But February that's another story. It's a busy, busy month.

Here are some of the bands I'll be seeing:


Vampire Weekend

If I had to explain who Vampire Weekend are, you've probably been living under a rock for the past couple of years. After a week short of two years without any releases - except for 'Ottoman' on the excellent soundtrack for Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - Vampire Weekend has come back with a record that they describe as more Vampire Weekend-sounding than their critically acclaimed self-titled debut album, and more importantly, captures the uniqueness that is the New York quartet. With crackers such as 'Cousins,' 'Horchata' and 'White Sky,' Contra is an album not to be missed.


The Drums

The Drums have come out of nowhere to suddenly become one of the most hyped bands in the indie world. Their brand of infectious post-punk have caught the eye of Moshi Moshi Music, who has, in their lineup, the likes of Florence & The Machine, Late Of The Pier, James Yuill, Friendly Fires and Dananananaykroyd, just to say a few. Shortlisted by BBC as the 15 acts to look out for in 2010 and considered by NME *scoff* to be the top tip for the year, everyone is going gaga for The Drums.


Bombay Bicycle Club

Bombay Bicycle Club is a young band. And when I say young, I don't mean they've only been around for a few months. No, I mean the band members look like they should still be doing their A' Levels and sneaking out of the window to go to their own gigs. But ho, their album 'I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose' came out to a glowing reception. Their single 'Always Like This' was considered by many to be one of last year's best. The songwriting is heartfelt and honest, the melodies are wonderful. For me, personally, is just their ability to subtly hammer their songs into your subconscious. It's been countless of times that I find myself humming or singing the chorus to 'Always Like This' without even realising it. Now that for me, is high praise.




Band of Skulls

I remember seeing them the first time, it was Southsea Fest '09. It was Pill's idea to catch their set, and though we only caught one song ('Fires') from them, it was enough to get you hooked. 'Fires' is an incredible tune, and it is incredible when performed live. Their album 'Baby Darling Doll Face Honey' is an album that seems to have multiple personalities - though most, if not all, of these personalities are wonderful, a result of all the members significantly contributing to their songwriting.




Alessi's Ark

If you are a fan of Laura Marling, then young Alessi Laurent-Marke will probably appeal to you. Her songs are lush, beautifully written and wonderfully sung. Named after the Italian design company, it was her mother's idea that she call herself Alessi's Ark, as to avoid confusion with the Alessi Brothers. Now I don't know who the Alessi Brothers are, nor do I care, and I don't care what Alessi decides to call herself, as long as her music remains as beautiful as ever.

And some more others:

Islet
I have not heard a full track from these guys. Yet the mystery that comes from not having any internet presence is deeply intriguing. I am checking them out solely for curiousity.

Los Campesinos!
As funny as it sounds, I fell in love with their album titled 'Romance Is Boring.' Their second (or third, if you count We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed) album is a masterpiece of indie alt.pop.

These Monsters
This band sound ferocious yet restrained, like Jason Voorhees sneaking up on you from behind. Check out their video 'Call Me Dragon.'

Tubelord
Possibly the most talked about band in this blog, ever. "Pop songs for rock kids," anyone?

Rolo Tomassi
Synth-driven, jazz-influenced, punk-heavy, experimental mathcore, did you ask? Well, here you go. Eva Spence is an amazing vocalist, switching from a monster to a siren in a split second.

Some more are on the list, and inevitably, I will miss some of them. But if I can catch Los Campesinos! and Tubelord, along with the already confirmed trips to see The Drums, Vampire Weekend and Bombay Bicycle Club, I'll be happy.

Signing out

Over and out

----------------
Now playing: Alessi's Ark - Hummingbird
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment