Sunday, July 15, 2007

Music & Masterpieces

Truth be told, I'm not much of a metalhead at the moment, what with the influence from my jazz-playing, punk-listening, ska-loving friend, Geo seeping in. I've not forsaken metal completely though. I still listen to my share of prog-metal and metalcore, and sometimes the odd death and thrash track. Trancecore is intriguing me at the moment, Enter Shikari being the main intriguer. I've also been listening to a lot less heavy stuff, like Arcade Fire and (+44). But it's me listening to the likes of The Streets, Norah Jones and Lloyd Cole that's been surprising even myself. I mean, how often is it that on someone's iPod does Norah Jones follow up to Avenged Sevenfold? I'm sorry if I'm name-dropping too much. It's just that it's easier to mention band names than explain their sound.

I mean, how do you explain a band like System Of A Down? Or Deftones? Categorisation in metal is becoming less and less relevant, I think, what with bands mixing and matching different sub-genres in an effort to create something new in an oversaturated industry. Hard Rock bordering on metal is becoming interesting, especially with bands like Madina Lake and Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster. Linkin Park's new album is disappointing. Nu Metal is truly dead. Metalcore is looking good. I've not made up my mind on Emo yet. Battle Metal is awesome because Turisas is absolutely magnificient. Thrash metal is still excellent. So is Death. Trivium will be future metal gods. And so ends my pointless commentary.

Signing out.

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment