Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Genre Of Comedy & Tragedy Juxtaposed

I feel a little tired today. Last night I got back to school from Stratford just after midnight, and damn, it was chilly. And today I've been filling in my free periods with work, specifically researching on Milton's Paradise Lost.

I really enjoyed going to see Twelfth Night last night. It was performed by The Royal Shakespeare Company at The Courtyard Theatre. It was the same place where I went to see The Seagull. The play itself was quite funny. I didn't know this play very well, and barely only knowing parts of the story just by listening to people talking about it. The whole thing was well-acted. I especially liked Feste. He could sing and play the piano so well. And he was so witty and funny. In hindsight, I think he's probably the most intelligent character in the whole play. As they say, it takes a genius to play a fool. The character of Malvolio was quite sad. At first you couldn't help but despise his up-tight, party-pooper attitude, but as the play goes on, you feel so sympathetic of him, and I guess serves as a reminder that not everyone can be happy in real life, or even in a comedy such as Twelfth Night.

One thing though. The whole play seems a little homoerotic. The character of Antonio was obviously in love with Sebastian. And Orsino still calls Viola by her 'male name', Cesario, even when she reveals she is not a man. So is Orsino in love with Viola, or is he in love with the male side of her, that of Cesario? I guess that's intentional of Shakespeare.

Paradise Lost is one hard poem. Just to do one essay, I'm supposed to read at least four critical books on him and his poem. I guess this is an early taste of how people work in universities. The thing is, I've got two days left till its due.

House Singing is coming soon. We're defending our title from last year. No idea yet what the unison song would be. But I'm sure Mike would do very well choosing the song and making us sing, since he did win the Best Composer (or something) award last year.

Anyways, off to the house and read some essays, then do mine.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment