Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Fall Of Ideals & Idealism

This is, I guess, some kind of response to Fee's blog. The insignificance of the human race or the individual.

I think both of them are ultimately insignificant. The universe is so much bigger than us. But my previous entry focused on the insignificance of the human race, rather than the individual. Think about it. We are one species that has popped up, depending on who you believe, from evolution or creation. Yes, we as a race has caused global warming, and that's been affecting the whole world. But on the long term, once we're long gone and extinct, the Earth will recover itself and stabilise. The Earth has been doing this for a long time. What we're doing is really extinguishing our own species, and even though in the short term the Earth will suffer, in the long run (in the scale of millions of years), any future intelligent beings will not see the mark of our existence on their very own ecosystem. Not significantly, anyways.

Religion has never been the moral guide for me. The moral guide for me was myself. I mean if you think the only thing stopping you from killing the guy beside you is religion, you've got issues. And besides, nihilism (the acceptance of one's insignificance) has not been the major cause of the world's wars and crimes. It has been the desire to BE significant. The Crusades was partly due to signify Christianity as a religion. So were any kind of religious wars. The Iraqi War was caused by Saddam's desire for significance and the US's desire to signify themselves and insignify the government. Racism cannot be blamed on nihilism. Racism itself is the attitude of feeling more significant on another race.

I don't know if I'm being coherent. I'm afraid to read it from the start. Hahahaha. I'll post it up before I read it.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment