Thursday, January 1, 2009

New London

Happy new year!

The first day of 2009.

I'm not one for new year resolutions. My last resolution was to be a vegetarian, and after two years I'm still going strong.

The first day of January has an added significance for me, since it's my and Pill's anniversary. Just like last year, we graced the banks of the Thames, along with millions of Londoners. London is a beautiful city. This is my favourite city by far.

Sure, Paris is romantic. Sure, it is beautiful. Champs de Elysees. The Eiffel Tower. The River Seine. But it's not a city I want to live in. It's an escape, a vacation city for me.

Sure, Venice is amazing. The water city is an unforgettable sight. But just like Paris, it's not somewhere I want to live in.

I love celebrating New Year's Eve here in London. The people make it incredible. Just last night on the number 7 bus a group of Spanish (probably) men in suits started singing and just made everyone smile. The enthusiastic cheers on the streets are met with equally enthusiastic responses. When you're walking towards the embankment, you feel like it's almost a pilgrimage of sorts, with millions of Londoners (no, I'm not exaggerating) going the same direction, towards the fireworks.

If I could choose any city to live in for the rest of my life, London would be my choice, no doubt.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment