Monday, February 5, 2007

Thinking Vegetarians, Saving Definitions

Yesterday, I woke up at breakfast wearing a thin nike t-shirt and a pair of three-quarters. Not one to dress up and find stuff amongst the massive pile of clothes, I just grabbed a pathetic excuse for a hoodie jacket and put on some flip-flops, just like I always do every morning. But of course, it turned out to be a big mistake for that particular morning. It was literally ice cold. The grass pitch was covered with frost. By the time I got to KH, there was ice building up on my feet. A layer of frozen water over my lowest limbs.

That’s all the amusing things I can think of that happened to me in the last 24 hours or so. Unless you start being sad and ask me what I did at precisely 1.15pm today, and every half an hour after that, which I don’t think you are. Well, most of you anyway.

As my life has been bloody boring so far, I’ve decided to post another one of those ‘thinking’ entries. Just because I can. And because that’s the only thing I can. Think of. Right now. Really. Yes. I’m really. Out of ideas.

So. First topic. My vegetarian self. I am now a vegetarian for about one and a half months. I have not eaten any kind of animal carcass that has been cut up or minced or whatever. And to be honest, it has been easier than I first thought. Seriously. I don’t crave meat. I don’t crave chicken. I don’t think I’ve missed the taste of poultry and beef at all, to be honest, just to answer everyone’s question, “don’t you miss chicken/beef?.” I don’t. It’s as simple as that.

You know the kind of irritation you get when people try to irritate and annoy you but it doesn’t work, and because you know they try to irritate you, and it doesn’t work, but they still persist anyway, you get irritated because they just don’t get the point? Confused? Yeah, me too. I guess what I’m trying to say is that people have been trying to make me drool by trying to avert my attention to, say, an advert of a beef burger, or a kebab. And because it doesn’t affect my strength of will to remain vegetarian, I feel insulted because they think I can be tempted. Yeah, that’s the gist of it. It’s not so much irritation as a feeling of being insulted, I think.

Maybe the only real downside to being a vegetarian in school – especially being in a boarding school – is the abundance of crap food out there. Have you ever tried our school’s vegetarian cottage pie? Vegetarian mint sausage? No? Good. Don’t. Ever.

So why did I exactly become a vegetarian?

When people ask me that question, I just answer, “it’s just an impulsive thing. A sudden urge to become vegetarian”. A voice in my head that suddenly popped out that told me to become a vegan. Well, it isn’t exactly that way. I guess when I’m being honest to myself, I kinda knew I had it in me. I was going towards that direction anyway. The kind of music I was listening to. The gradual affirmation of mind of what I really believed in. The slow but sure change from a sceptic to a total non-believer in matters I will mostly keep to myself. The streaming of new and exciting ideas that I have absorbed, generally by self-discovery.

Sure, it sounds too heavy to be a reason why I became a vegan. But don’t forget. Being a vegan is a big commitment. Especially if you come from a country where meat is almost the staple food of the nation. I guess it needs a heavy change of mindset to become one. A total decisiveness and loss of agnosticism. But then again, impulsive changes can and have happened.

I did a blog entry some time back, about my love of metal. This is one of the reasons I became a vegetarian. I think I’m becoming a bit of a leftist. I’m one step closer to becoming the environmental Greenpeace member protester holding his big banner, giving a big middle finger to the nearby oil-rig. But I’m still very well far off from that.

Here are some excerpts from lyrics of songs that I guess, is kinda relevant to what I’m trying to say:

‘Blind to this impending fate,
We let the world carry our weight,
It’s back break with every mile,
But we all live in denial,
Can we be saved?
Has the damage all been done?
Is it too late to reverse what we’ve become?
A lesson to learn at a crucial point in time’
- Rise Against, song: Chamber The Cartridge (from the album, the Sufferer & The Witness)

‘We take our orders given by the queen,
We’re not the killers, we’re the worker bees,
If you resist us you will feel the sting,
Surrender now before the swarm sets in.
Protect the hive from the enemies!
Protect the hive from the enemies!
Follow the herd mentality,
Can we fight to save our souls?’
- Billy Talent, song: Worker Bees (from album, Billy Talent II)

‘Can you explain to me how
You’re so evil, how?
It’s too late for me now,
There’s a hole in the Earth, I’m out’
- Deftones, song: Hole In The Earth (from album, Saturday Night Wrist)

‘Why do they always send the poor?
… Hangers sitting dripped in oil,
Crying freedom
Handed to obsoletion
Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth’
- System Of A Down, song: B.Y.O.B. (from the album: Mezmerize)

‘Survived the plague,
Floated the flood,
Just peeked our heads above the mud,
No one’s immune,
Deafening bells,
My God, will we survive ourselves?!’
-Incubus, song: Light Grenades (from the album: Light Grenades)

‘Hope lies in the smoldering rubble of empires,
Back through the shanties and the cities remains,
The same bodies buried hungry,
But with different last names,
These vultures rob everyone,
Leave nothing but chains’
- Rage Against The Machine, song: Calm Like A Bomb (from the album: The Battle Of Los Angeles)

‘So are we lost or do we know,
Which direction we should go,
Sit around and wait for someone to take our hands and lead the way,
… wake up, wake up wake up,
Yeah, so sick of waiting,
For us to make a move’
- Lostprophets, song: Make A Move (from the album, Start Something)

Of course, I could go on forever, but I would just bore you, and there wouldn’t really be enough space in the blog.

Second topic..

I can’t think of a second topic to talk about. And I’ve already blogged so much here anyway

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment