Monday, February 26, 2007

Lasting Nights, Blazing Seconds

Well, I’m one day late of the promised Sunday update on the second performance of our house play. Sorry about that, I think. Haha. You guys aren’t bothered anyway, I can tell. If my blog isn’t updated, you’ll just have a thousand different alternative blogs to read. Haha. Ha.

For starters, we performed to a very small audience. A modest thirty compared to Friday night’s two hundred. But that proved to work in our favour. It was a very good audience, much more responsive. It was satisfying to perform in front of them. They laughed at every joke, they appreciated every sentiment. They loved it. We loved it. I have to say, I have never felt so satisfied after any kind of performance in my life. I was literally bowing at the end with the biggest grin on my face that my lips could manage. I think because of the small size of the audience, we felt less pressure than the night before, and therefore weren’t afraid to experiment and just went for it. Everyone projected their voices better. Everyone interacted with each other much, much, oh so much better than Friday night’s. We articulated our lines better. Everything was just done better. We didn’t skip four pages like on Friday. There were no major cock-ups at all. Just plain lovely. Smooth sailing all the way.

Geo did his opening scene by replacing the phrase ‘English women’ with ‘English cunt,’ which was obviously much more offensive. Actually in the actual play, it was ‘cunt,’ not ‘women,’ but it got changed to try and not offend anyone. But a few minutes before the curtain opened, I said to Geo, “Are you gonna say cunt instead of women this time?” because he did contemplate it before.

“Do you think I should?” he replied.

“Go for it. If they get angry, just say you forgot to censor yourself and used the original lines instead,” was my stupid suggestion.

And so he did. I almost burst out laughing on stage. I had to control myself from giggling in front of the audience. I could feel the others were giggling off stage.

But then we found out Matt – our director – was holding his face in his hands not being able to believe that Geo had just said the word ‘cunt’ on stage. Geo quickly used the ‘excuse’ we had planned. A few people were sceptical. They had a right to be. But only Matt and our housemaster, Mr Vickers, were genuinely upset. Even the Headmaster didn’t get angry. He congratulated Geo’s performance on the way out. No one knew I was the one who made the final push to convince Geo to say it on stage. He was thinking about doing it, but he wasn’t sure before. And he did almost get into trouble for it. But since the play went so well – and the audience had no problem with it, in fact they loved it – Matt and Mr Vickers didn’t get so angry with him afterwards. He could’ve easily got suspended, or at the least, got given Headmaster’s Detention. Now I can just laugh thinking about it. The harm it would do to my conscience if he got to any kind of trouble.

And oh, thanks for Adi and Hanif for coming to see the play that night. I really appreciate it. Means a lot to me.

The after-party was okay. The lads had some Carling and Kroneunberg. I just had some Coke along with the third-formers. Haha. We had slices of pizza, a lot of Pringles, and a hundred other kinds of junk food. It went on till half past 12, after which we went to bed, to officially end what has been a genuinely fun and engaging few weeks in theatre.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment