Thursday, March 15, 2007

Horrifying Tortures, Wiring Brains

I was reading Dibs’s blog, and thought “well, she didn’t get my point.” Haha. In a sense, yeah. Sorry, but I’m not just against the killing of animals. I’m against the extremely unethical, unfair and monstrous ways companies treat the animals.

I’m sorry if you think it’s okay that animals should suffer months, even years, of insanity-inducing confinement just so that we could have a snack. I don’t think it’s fair that animals should only be allowed to roam in a chicken coop full of hundreds or even thousands of other chickens on their own excrements and the corpses of other chickens. I’m against the way chickens are given chemicals so that they grow at an absurdly abnormal rate, so much that their own feet can’t support their own weight, and they become crippled because of it.

I’m against monkeys having their scalps removed and their brains connected with wires and bolts to a computer so that we can study how the brain works (yes, this is real. I’ll show you the video if you want). I’m against dairy cows being impregnated annually just to keep the milk flowing, and then have their babies taken away from them to be auctioned. I’m against cattle being castrated (having their testicles cut off, seriously) and their horns cut off so that when they go insane out of lack of stimulation, they won’t hurt themselves. I’m against them made insane because they are put in cages so small they can’t turn around or even lie down properly.

I’m against egg-laying chickens kept in cages no bigger than a TV filled with 5-7 other chickens. I’m against them being starved of food for two weeks if the rate of egg-laying decreases, just to speed up the production. I’m against sheep having pieces of their flesh being cut off to remove maggots because of infection while they’re still alive, just because the farmers aren’t responsible enough to properly sanitise and clean them.

Animals were not made to be tortured by human beings. Slaughtering them might even be the most humane thing we can do them, considering the amount of suffering they’ve been through before the slaughterhouse. The Prophet (SAW) did not live in a time of when animals are subjected to such suffering. Cattle, sheep and chickens were allowed pretty much to roam, and be natural. Religiously, animal torture for the production of food was never condoned.

The greedy nature of big companies (and even small companies) to meet the demands of the public for meat and therefore make massive profits, have taken away their morality and humane side.

And one more thing. If you think you can be an environmentalist without being a vegetarian, you’re so misguided. To produce a single hamburger, you need to use up enough fossil fuel to drive a small car 20 miles and enough water for 17 showers. 125,000 square miles of rainforest per year is being destroyed to make room for the meat industry. To produce a pound of meat, 2500 gallons of water is needed. To produce a pound of wheat, only 25 gallons is needed. Animals raised for food produce 130 times more excrement than the entire human population.

I’d rather sacrifice my meat-eating, than have the torture of innocent animals on my conscience. It’s just a small sacrifice for me to make. And I love myself for it.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment