Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Divine Comedy


Yes, this is the Milla Jovovich most people know, or 'Alice' in the amazingly woeful 'Resident Evil' series. It is surprising that someone as talented as Milla would stand acting in three incredibly pointless films that add nothing to either the action or horror genre.

Especially when I found this gem of a music album recently:

Okay, so it was released 14 years ago. And not many people know about it. But this folk-rock album from Milla excellently shows her side as a talented musician, as well as a talented actress, model and fashion designer.

Unlike other actors/actresses-turned-musicians, she didn't go for the mainstream option. Instead she went for Ukrainian-folk. And though apparently it didn't go down too well commercially, the critics loved it. And when I first listened to it yesterday, it was understandable. It was rich, poetic. It was beautiful, epic and magnificent. Her voice sounds like a mixture of Bjork and Tori Amos, hauntingly deep and amazing poetry.

So I dug around and found these batch of quotes that describe the album:

"strikingly mature and rich in invention, counterpointing Milla's lovelorn, angst-laced poetry with vivid melodies and arrangements that find a common spirit in synth pop, European folk and psychedelic dream rock"
- The Rolling Stones

"She has an ear for delicate medieval tunes and aching drama that would make Tori Amos envious."
- Entertainment Weekly

"Her songs are tone poems of a sort, inspired by vulnerability and wariness, sung in a small, plaintive, unguarded soprano"
- The Washington Post

"Her songs take form in fairytale poetry, as if she were some medieval storybook princess, held captive against her will in a Dragon's Lair. Authentic Russian acoustic instruments create a soundscape of delicate beauty, ethereal, yet soulful and heartfelt. An original."
- Let It Rock!

'The Divine Comedy' becomes all the more surprising when it is found that she wrote most of it when she was 16. She released this album when she was 18.

This is the first time I saw her:

She was Leelo in 'The Fifth Element,' acting beside Bruce Willis. Anyone remember that film? The film with its colourful costumes and colourful aliens.

I've never really seen Milla as beautiful before. Not in 'The Fifth Element,' not in the 'Resident Evil' series. But after listening to 'The Divine Comedy,' I feel she has captivated me with her heavenly voice. It's incredible.

Either buy her album, or listen to some of the demos she's made available for free on her site, here.

Oh, I love this bit. It's from the song 'Reaching From Nowhere':

"How can I be telling you my thoughts my love
When even I don't know what I'm thinking
How can I explain the way your eyes
Burn into my mind, my love"

Signing out

Over and out

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! Isn't that the movie with the blue, singing alien? I'm sorry I didn't want to watch it. )=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is :D We watched some of it on TV, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her! Absolutely. She's just awesome and absolutely amazing... Best of everything

    ReplyDelete