Friday, November 14, 2008

A Better Kind Of Milkshake

You know, as a linguist, it's fun to analyse what people say. Even before I took this course, I tended to over-analyse conversations. But now, it's like I've been given new tools to pinch out every information I can about you from a sentence.

We were studying the evolution of meaning in words in our History of English a couple of weeks ago, and the most amusing thing happened.

Our lecturer, a 60-ish guy who tucks his shirt into his blue jeans and has the most soothing voice that he'll just make you go to sleep, was telling us how the word milkshake has been given different connotations in hip hop. And to make his point, he starts saying the lyrics to Kelis's 'Milkshake.'

"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like
It's better than yours"

He looks to see that everyone is paying attention.

"Damn right
It's better than yours"

And there was people who couldn't stop laughing. It was like watching your grandpa trying to gain some street cred by getting some bling and telling you he digs 50 Cent. I was only laughing mildly on the surface, but inside I was rolling around my imaginary floor and stumbling onto tables and stamping the floor with my fist with uncontrollable fits of laughter. The way he said it was as if he was reading the news.

"Okay, for the news today: My milkshake is definitely better than yours. And it brings all the boys to the yard."

Then he starts telling us how milkshake has become another word for sexual appeal and female charisma, with the straightest face you have ever seen. He was oblivious to how funny this seemed to everyone.

Funny times.

Signing out

Over and out

----------------
Now playing: Tubelord - The Death of a Digital Alarm Clock
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. =)))) haha, killer moment, i wish i would have witnessed it.
    still =))

    ReplyDelete