Thursday, November 20, 2008

Blink

A few months ago, Travis Barker, the drummer for +44 and Blink 182, and his friend DJ AM, almost died in a plane crash that killed four people. Yet out of this tragic circumstance comes a silver lining.

Tom, Mark and Travis have spoken again, after four years.

Here's Mark talking about it.

It's not clear whether they have talked about a Blink 182 reunion. It's too early to tell. I've already given up before this little glimmer of hope. I didn't think they were ever going to go back together. Now I'm just crossing my fingers.

Blink 182, for all their pre-pubescent humour and power pop catchiness, influenced who I am today. Their tunes were contagious and infectious. Their college humour, seemingly immature at first, represented a refusal to embrace the norms of the grown-up stereotypes, a rebellion against society's demands for everyone to leave their inner youth. Yet their last self-titled album pointed to a growing maturity that though not quite adult, revealed a side to them that knew they were not going to be young forever.

Tom ran away towards that direction sprinting, forming the ambitious Angels & Airwaves. Mark and Travis, shocked by Tom's departure, formed what some would call a mature version of Blink 182, +44. Opinions were divided between fans which were better, and some even refused to acknowledge the existence or the talent of the two, unable to let go of Blink 182.

I don't know what to expect. I just won't let my hopes up.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment