Monday, November 3, 2008

Go Play

I'm getting this:
Harman Kardon Go & Play iPod Dock.

First thing first, all I have is an iPod Nano right now, which isn't even mine. It's Farah's. So I bought this because it's a very good pair of speakers, and it'll be for my super-big laptop. The laptop speakers aren't bad though, considering they're that, laptop speakers. But I miss the bass.

I got this on eBay for £124.00. Which is a bargain, considering the actual price could go up to £250. Plus postage and all, I'm still saving between £30-80/. I have high hopes on this one. The JBL Creature II was also a creature by Harman Kardon, and I absolutely loved it. Mubin has the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II, and from what I've heard, it's brilliant.

By the way, I got a new laptop about a month ago. I still have my dilapidated Acer TravelMate 3040, which is as light as a feather (but also lightweight in terms of performance). Now I have the massive 17" Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi 2528 (at about 3.7 kg):

It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but it's okay. One thing I don't like about it is that it runs on Vista. I absolutely despise Vista. It's slow, inefficient and unnecessarily flashy. And it shows. Even with the relatively high specs the laptop slows down at times. My TravelMate has much lower specs and it runs XP much more smoothly. But that's Microsoft's fault, not Fujitsu-Siemens.

The media buttons at the top of the keyboard aren't as responsive as you would expect. The keyboard needs some getting used to, especially since it has the Num Pads at the side (as well as the top) that you only expect on desktop keyboards. The spacing of the keys are quite weird at places. But I'm getting used to it.

The 17" widescreen is beautiful. It's clear, vivid and bright. The viewing angle is good. I used to have a problem playing DVDs, because the screen flickered, but it's gone now. I'm not sure what that was about. Maybe it was a software problem. It can connect to HD TVs, so you can watch DVDs in High Def, but you can't play Blu-Ray discs, which kind of takes the shine off the HDMI connection.

I use the laptop with my 22" Acer X222W LCD screen, and it rules to have a dual screen setup. It's especially useful as I usually have my iTunes on one screen and other stuff like Mozilla Firefox on the other. By the way, Firefox 3 is awesome.

Considering I only got it for £400 (yes, that's about $1000 in Brunei), it's a very good deal. It's original price is at least £700. I'm getting better at bagging myself deals these days.

I have lectures soon.

Signing out.

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment