Monday, November 10, 2008

The Life Of An Inanimate Object

I was reading a friend's blog, and one thing she said struck me as something easily overlooked. How inanimate things lie witness to our entire lives. Here are some of my inanimate things and the things/events they've witnessed:

Nissan Serena (not entirely inanimate, and we don't have it in the family anymore):
This one has a lot of memories. Before everyone got their driving licenses, this car was the shiznit. The universal driving license. The late night magic carpet. This one time the whole car was filled with balloons. This car also was the reluctant witness of my late school out routines, when I would spend hours talking with people waiting for their parents, notably Dibah, Yumnie and Fatin. I guess one-sixth of my high school life was spent in that car. Sometimes after school I would go home, shower for ten minutes and pick up Yumnie so we could go to Coffee Bean. My first metal gig I used this car. Fee always liked the fact that System of A Down was played constantly on the stereo.

The blue tables of MS cafeteria:
The idle afternoon hours. The small talks and the epic conversations. Love stories came and went. Cg Haiseh looking for the absence of songkok and tudung. The pond where the captain of the winning house would be thrown in. Fee giving me my 18th birthday gift from a plaster plaque she painted. The mid-lesson coffee breaks. The pre-football chat session. The post-football chat session.

My Bose earphones:
Long train journeys, from Shrewsbury to London and back. To Oxford. The flight back home. The flight back to London. The hours spent promoting Chef Wan at the Mall with Fee. The retrospective, introspective looks while on those journeys. Fifteen hours of plane time feeling like nothing because Pill was on the same flight. Turning it off so you could eavesdrop on the nearby conversation.

My wristwatch:
Waiting for 2007 to come. Her hands in mine. The fireworks of London. The dancing under the fireworks. The anticipating glances. Hours spent talking to Dibah in her room while Fatin was blissfully unaware. Comparing with Yumnie how similar our watches are. My resting forehead after a hard night out.

The dining hall in Brunei Hall:
A three-night Final Destination trilogy marathon. A TMX Elmo being unveiled. Christmas Eve dares. Self-karaoke videos (Zeerah on Smack That was hilarious). The introduction of a new 'best-friend' to Farah during an impromptu screening of Saw III (or Hostel, I can't remember). The nature of reality, as discussed with Dibah.

Pick an inanimate object. How many events in your life do you feel that object witnessed?

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment