Sunday, February 1, 2009

Musing Musicality II

I know. I've been reviewing music quite frequently in the past week. And I don't think it's about to stop anytime soon.
The thing is, when it comes to music, within my circle of friends there are very few who I can discuss it with, seeing that my music taste is often atypical. I listen to almost everything. And it's not just one of those broad statements that really just means I listen to anything that plays on the radio or on MTV. I don't even listen to the radio or watch MTV. I mean, I could make friends with an exclusively metalhead circle of friends or an exclusively indie-DIY group, but that just wouldn't make sense. I've got my friends, and I love my friends. I don't care if they think The Pussycat Dolls is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't care if they think Crystal Castles is a video game.

It's really almost everything. To illustrate this point, let me list you a few genres (for the sake of convenience) that I listen to:
Indie, electronica, rock, metal, pop, classical, folk, punk, country, alternative, blues, hip hop, techno, experimental, industrial, jazz, R&B, ska, soul, film score, hardcore, trance, reggae, etc...

And then we break them down into sub-genres:
indie pop, math rock, folk punk, viking metal, trancecore, neo-classical, post-hardcore, skacore, punk ska, new wave of british heavy metal, avantgarde metal, britpop, horror punk, dance punk, electro punk, folk metal, folk pop, glam rock, grunge, grime, crunk, indie rock, indie folk, brazilian tribal metal, norwegian black metal, grindcore, metalcore, pop punk, power metal, progressive rock, progressive metal, rap core, speed metal, stoner rock, melodic death metal, thrash, doom indie, experimental hip hop, folk electronica, etc...

Then the musicians that play the music that I listen to:
A.F.I., AC/DC, Adele, Adequate Seven, Aereogramme, Alexisonfire, Alkaline Trio, Alphabeat, Amon Amarth, Amy Winehouse, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Andrew WK, Angels & Airwaves, Anthrax, Antony & The Johnsons, Apocalyptica, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, As I Lay Dying, Asian Dub Foundation, The Ataris, Athlete, Audioslave, Authority Zero, Avenged Sevenfold, Basement Jaxx, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Beck, The Bedouin Soundclash, Beirut, Belle & Sebastian, Biffy Clyro, Big D & The Kids Table, Billy Idol, Billy Talent, Birdy Nam Nam, The Black Dahlia Murder, Black Kids, Black Sabbath, Blink 182, Bloc Party, The Blood Brothers, Blur, Bob Marley, Bon Iver, Bon Jovi, Bowling For Soup, Boxcar Racers, Braintax, Brand New...

If you're bored, skip the next paragraph. Makes sense, doesn't it?

The Bravery, Bring Me The Horizon, British Sea Power, The Bronx, Bullet For My Valentine, Cage The Elephant, Cajun Dance Party, Cancer Bats, Cannibal Corpse, Capdown, Captain Everything!, Carcass, The Cat Empire, Cavalera Conspiracy, Chad Vangaalen, Chairlift, The Chemical Brothers, Children Of Bodom, The Clash, Cobra Starship, Coheed & Cambria, Conor Oberst, Crystal Castles, The Cure, Cute Is What We Aim For, Dalek, Damien Marley, Dananananaykroyd, The Darkness, Death Cab For Cutie, Deftones, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Dethklok, The Devil Wears Prada, Dido, Die Toten Hosen, Dimmu Borgir, The Distillers, Dizzee Rascal, DJ Danger Mouse, Does It Offend You Yeah?, etc...

You get the idea. And that's just touching until the D section. And trust me, I won't list an artist just because I've heard one or two songs from them. If you know more than half of them, I'd be mightily impressed. I mean, if I go through someone else's music library, chances are I won't have a clue who half the artists are. Unless you only listen to radio staples.

So what's my point in naming names and telling you all this? I'm not really sure. I guess I'm just trying to tell you that this blog is really the only place I can talk about the music I love, hence why I'm reviewing new albums on a regular basis.

Even Pill doesn't quite like half the stuff I like. Hahahaha.

Signing out

Over and out

----------------
Now playing: Capdown - Wind Up Toys
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment