Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Matter Of Materials

Chemistry re-takes. Over and done with.

It was quite an easy paper. Or rather, papers. I quite enjoyed doing the Foundation bit. If I didn't get an A on that, I must have a really distorted, skewed understanding of Chemistry. Hahaha. Organics... Urm... I'm not sure. I guess it's either borderline A or B. And no, I'm not superstitious, so I'm not afraid of jinxing myself. No touch-wood or anything like that. But what I am afraid of is when I confidently predict my own grades there's always a possibility I'm grossly wrong and I have to eat my words through a funnel.

After finishing the paper, we went back to the house and decided to go and grab a coffee in town. It was me, Clive, Lowco, Fudge and Sam who went. Sam drives, so we lazily parked just outside the Quarry near the church and walked the rest to Starbucks. But hey, it's nearly lunchtime, so Starbucks was full and we ended up at Costa's.

The thing I love about Costa is that when they say "medium" coffee they actually mean "massively gigantic cup but there's a bigger one called 'large'." I mean, it's not as much a cup but a bowl a mocha I was having yesterday. And the sandwiches are nice and hot. I think I should've gone for the Frescato option, but oh well.

We got back to school just in time for lunch, but we didn't go to KH.

Then Kam said to me on Google Chat if I wanted to go to town, so I answered, "why not watch a film too?" So we did. And we also brought Mubin along. Indiana Jones it was. And not bad. I thought it was a good action film, filled with funny one-liners and nostalgic references.

There was a blatant reference to Damien Hirst's diamond skull, which was quite funny, but somehow I felt like an arse laughing to it on my own. It's when Indie says "I saw a crystal skull once at the British Museum. Good craftsmanship, but that was it." That was a public-held view of Damien Hirst's skull, that the craftsmanship was excellent and painstakingly done, but its artistic value was nil. To be honest, I'm not a fan of Damien Hirst. Maybe it's the commercial aspect of it. I'm not sure.

Here's Damien Hirst's skull:


It's beautiful, flashy and certainly expensive (£50m in fact), but that's it. You don't feel anything from it. It doesn't draw you in, it doesn't provoke you. It's almost like an ineffective piece of jewellery, which at least pulls you in and makes you want to have it. This, well... I won't even want it on my mantelpiece or as a paperweight.

Now this is one of my favourite paintings. Geo showed it to me because he was doing his Art course on the artist. It's by Georg Baselitz:

It's a painting of a boy masturbating, if you didn't notice it already. What I like about it is that it's surreal and real at the same time. The boy's expression seems to be of both nothingness and pleasure at the same time. The whole painting also embodies a certain comical quality to it. And the brush strokes are unique, which I guess is due to the fact that he paints his paintings upside down.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do today.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment