Friday, June 13, 2008

The Minimalist Desire

This is what I want for my birthday, the Mini Cooper S:


This is what I have right now, the Nissan Serena:


When people ask what their dream car is, most people would say a Porsche, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. The unattainables, the unreachables. I guess that's part of the appeal. We want what we can't afford. We need to worship something we can't have. It's like ogling over your Jessica Albas or Wentworth Millers. We know there is no way we can even hope to date people that high up the human chain of desirability, or afford these magnificiently built supercars, but that will never stop us from dreaming.

There was once a time when I had wet dreams about the Audi TT (the Quattro version). Yes, it's not the most brilliant of cars. It's not really a supercar. By no means is it the best sports car on the market. But there's something about the curves, the smoothness of its lines that always captured my imagination.


It was my dream car for years. But after watching 'The Italian Job' and having a few rides in one, I've really started to like the Mini for its pure fun, in terms of its aesthetics, and how it handles. It's minimalist and bold at the same time.

I'm not a car enthusiast. I don't know every spec of every sports car ever made. I don't even have a driving license. Yes, I had a driver for my Serena. That did not exactly motivate me to get a driving license. Technically the Serena isn't even mine. But I used it so much it was practically mine anyway.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment