Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quotable Destruction

It's easy to sound intelligent in a few words. It's harder when you have to keep it up for a whole conversation. Hence why people love to quote. Quoting people make them feel they're associated in terms of intelligence to the person they're quoting. Not dissing people who quote, but that's what we all feel. It's that false sense of intelligence, that surge of confidence that you're somehow in the company of people like Oscar Wilde and Aristotle when you quote them.

Not that I read Oscar Wilde or study Aristotle. Hahaha. Though I quite like Wilde's quote:

'Disobedience is Man's greatest virtue'

Heh. Lovely quote. Gives me an excuse to do basically anything. Haha.

I guess that's one of the measures of successes, how quotable you are. The more quoted you are, the more well-known you are. But that doesn't necessarily mean more liked. Take George W. Bush for example. His Bushisms are legendary. They undermine his intelligence and ability to lead correctly. I think you'll find these 'gems' quite memorable:

"I can only speak to myself"

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror"

"You work three jobs? Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic you're doing that" - to a divorced mother of three

"In my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda"

He's a funny guy, Bush. A proper red-neck he is.

I guess I better go and do some Chemistry. I've got retakes tomorrow.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment