Sunday, June 8, 2008

Send Me On My Way


I was thinking, for my first year of University I should get a new set of speakers to replace my Harman JBL Creature II, but then after a moment of realisation, now I'm not sure if I wanna part with my Creature anymore.

I got it for a bargain at £30 on eBay. If you try and buy it now, it'll still be in the region of £50. Amusingly I lost the bid but the guy who won the bid didn't have any money so I got a second chance. Haha. After a year and a half, I still love my speakers. It's like having little Darth Vaders you can hug. And the bass on the subs is amazing. It's been the subject of many neighbour complaints over the past year. And I honestly think at £50 it's still underpriced.

They look great. They sound great, the only minor thing is that the satellites sound a bit metallic at time. But other than you'll definitely enjoy the bass and the overall sound. I mean, you can buy much, much more expensive speakers for worse the sound.

Today, I discovered a Malaysian band called The Times, and another called Gerhana Ska Cinta. The number of Malaysian bands that I like is amazingly little. No, this isn't one of those prejudice cases where all Malaysian bands are automatically bad. It's just that a lot (not all) of them sound boring and similar to each other. So finding two good ones in the same day is nothing short of a minor miracle.

Gerhana Ska Cinta is a ska band, and I'm a fan of Ska, though mostly in the form of Punk Ska, with the likes of Mad Caddies, NoFX and Capdown being my favourites. The Times sounds like O.A.G. (which I'm not a fan of) and... I'm not sure. They're a more upbeat version of O.A.G. Let's leave it at that.

Jason Lo is amazing. I'm not sure why he's constantly overlooked as one of the best Malaysian musicians they have. His lyrics are clever, his music is lovely. His music videos are poignant, funny and clever. If you wanna have a taste go to youtube and watch Jason Lo's videos for 'Operator, The Line Is Dead,' 'So Julie' and 'Evening News.'

One of the first (commercially successful) Screamo bands in Malaysia were Love Me Butch. When the album 'This Is The New Pop' came out, I couldn't stop listening to it. Try watching the video 'Hollywood Holiday,' which is an amazing artistic video.

There's not many more Malaysian bands that I like. So that's a total count of four. There's a band called Meet Uncle Hussein which has a good song called 'Milk In Bottle,' so I'm itching to listen to any other songs they have. I liked Butterfingers before they started singing in Malay. Hahaha. I know that sounds bad on my part. But somehow when they started singing in Malay, they lost the vocal qualities that made them... Butterfingers. 'Breathe' and 'Fall were my two favourite songs.

Just to clear up, again I hove no prejudices against songs sung in Malay. Evidence (hahahaha): The Times, despite its English name, sings in Malay, and they're amazing. And I also like bands like Sheila On 7. And oh, Gerhana Ska Cinta sing mainly in Malay, hence the Malay name.

I need to start studying soon. Hahaha.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment