Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We Knew What We Were Getting Into

Though I don't believe in the concept of exams (I've mentioned this several times here), it's inevitable that I have to revise for my A' Levels. The thing is, I really wanna go to UCL. I really do. A lot of my friends will be in London. Geo's been adamant that I should get AAA and go to UCL, because he's gonna be in Wimbledon doing Art. And London is only less than an hour away from Oxford, where Pill is, and hopefully where Pill will still be in late 2009.

And yes, before this I've been revising for four, maybe five hours straight (excluding lunchtime) today. And I still haven't touched the other section in my English paper. To do one essay in one hour takes a whole lotta preparation. I'm doing notes at the moment, so it'll be fresh in my mind, rather than just reading notes, which is boring as hell. But that also means a lot of work. Using the font Times New Roman Size 8, I've got 8 pages of notes already. And that is just for one essay i.e. one section of the two sections I have to do. And guess what. The 8-pages of notes are actually just a summary of all the notes I already have.

I'm kinda glad I only have one essay subject out of three. Maths is easy peasy. Chemistry is... Well... Difficult but on a different level to English.


What's been distracting me a bit right now is a band I recently discovered on the free CD I got from Rock Sound magazine. It's a Chicago-based band called Kill Hannah. Despite their emo look and emo name (which is delightfully derived from the name of the vocalist's ex-girlfriend), they are more electronica, darkwave alternative rock and not at all in the mould of My Chemical Romance or LostProphets. A bit like HIM and The Killers being put in a blender by the crazy Mindless Self Indulgence.


I got their new CD (which isn't technically new. It's complicated) 'Until There's Nothing Left Of Us,' and it's brilliant. A lot of thought goes into their music. Pill described the vocals as 'smooth,' especially on 'Lips Like Morphine,' and I don't think she's wrong. Oh, she's going to see them perform in Oxford, which is unfair, because I wanna go, but I have a Chemistry exam that afternoon. You Pill.

Another band that Pill really likes are math-rockers Foals:

I admit, they're pretty damn good. Like Kill Hannah, they also put a lot of thought into their music. On tracks like 'Red Socks Pugie' and 'Big Big Love (Fig. 2),' this aspect of their music is evident. And 'Cassius' is as catchy as the flu. One major bonus is the fact that they're from Oxford. Haha.

I missed Capdown's last ever performance :( They've split up. They are one of my favourite bands, showing an intelligent mix of Punk, Ska and Hardcore. It's a shame they won't be working together anymore.

Oh well.

Signing out

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment